Thursday, December 27, 2012

Break Time Means Catch Up on the Blog Time

Creamy Bacon Potato Soup

So I know it has been two months since I last posted on this blog, but once again life has gotten the best of me.  Between my son's basketball schedule, my daughter's travel basketball schedule, and my teaching, I barely have had time to do much of anything.  Well, now I am snowed in and on Christmas Break.  Not only do I have time to post some recipes that I am cooking, but I also have time to actually cook!

The first item I am going to post is a Creamy Bacon Potato Soup that I found on Allrecipes.com.  I modified the recipe from its original version slightly.  Last month I made this soup for my family and I could not wait to eat it when we got home from my daughter's basketball practice. 

Apparently I was not the only mammal not able to wait for this scrumptious soup.  My dog, Roscoe, had plans of his own.  When we got home from our daughter's basketball practice, the crock pot was on the kitchen floor, cleaned out completely, and the lid dented.  Roscoe had an entire crock of creamy bacon potato soup. 

I decided to try for round two of the soup since I wasn't going anywhere today.  It was everything I hoped it would be especially on a cold winter day like today.

Ingredients:
1 medium onion finely chopped
package of bacon diced into 1-2 inch pieces
2 cans of condensed chicken broth
2 cups of water
5 large potatoes diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried dill weed
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
2 cups half and half cream
1 1/2 can of evaporated milk
1/cup flour

1.  Place bacon and onion in a skillet.  Cook bacon and onion until bacon is browned evenly and onion is soft.
2.  Transfer the bacon and onion to the slow cooker.  Stir in chicken broth, water, potatoes, salt, pepper, dill weed, and cover.  Cook on low for 6-7 hours stirring occasionally.
3.  In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and half and half.  Stir into the soup along with the evaporated milk.  Cover and cook another 30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment