Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fall My Second Favorite Season

While summer is my absolute favorite time of the year, fall comes in a close second.  The two main reasons for my love of the fall season are football and the comfort food that I get to start cooking.  Today was no exception.  Here in Indiana the day started out really gloomy with grey cloudy covered skies, cooler weather, and a spit spat rain.  When I stood in the hallways at school and looked out the large glass windows while doing hall duty, all I could think about were sweat pants a sweatshirt and a big pot of my favorite --White Lightening Chicken Chili.  Now this is a recipe I have been making for over ten years.  I first started making this particular recipe while my husband was wrestling in college.  He had to watch his weight and this light recipe that I found in a cookbook called "Cooking Light" was tasty, light, and packed in some protein.  All of these elements were needed for a college wrestler.  I have made this recipe and changed it over the years to our liking.  I don't even have a set recipe and for the most part, I make it to taste.  Since I started making this in 1997, there have been several other recipes created and published.  Most of the recipes I have seen are a lot heavier and include heavy whipping cream in the chili.  Therefore, if you are looking for a lighter white chili, this is the recipe for you.

Ingredients:
Two large chicken breasts
1 cup of milk or chicken broth
1 jalepeno pepper minced
1 medium onion chopped
1/2 green bell pepper chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 1/2 tbsp cumin powder
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp white pepper
1-3 tsp cayenne pepper
2-3 cans great northern beans
1 carton chicken broth
shredded cheese
sour cream

1.  Poach the chicken -- cut an deep slit down the center of each chicken breast poor either the milk or chicken broth over the chicken in a shallow baking dish.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
2.  Meanwhile place the jalapeno pepper, onion, bell pepper and garlic in a medium sized stock pot.  Cook until the onions are translucent.
3.  Add all of the spices and mix with the vegetables.  Stir together until fragrant.
4.  Rinse and drain the beans and add them to the vegetables and spices.
5.  Poor the chicken broth into the stock pot.  I usually use anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of the carton.  Add as much as you would like to get it to your preferred consistency and taste.  I usually add it to a little above the beans and then after adding the chicken, add a little more to taste.
6.  Allow the chili to come to a boil and then simmer.
7.  Once the chicken is finished, remove it from the oven and let it cool.  When it is cool enough, shred the chicken with a fork or I use my hands and put it in the stock pot with the rest of the chili.  I stir it in and let it come to a boil again and then let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
8.  Serve with shredded cheese and sour cream



No comments:

Post a Comment